CALL 911 for any situation that requires IMMEDIATE police, fire, or medical response to preserve life or property. You can also use any outdoor Blue Light phone (situated throughout campus) or indoor designated emergency phone to report a campus emergency. Just pick up the receiver or press the call button.
The Emergency Action Guide at the left provides instructions on actions to take in emergency situations. Click this Emergency Action Guide link to download a copy to print and keep in a convenient location.
Be Ready for Winter Weather
Prepare for winter weather by downloading the Extreme Cold Prevention Guide along with reviewing the checklist below. Together, these resources will help keep you and your family safe when winter weather strikes.
- Plan ahead and make an emergency supply kit for your home.
- Winterize and maintain your vehicle. Be sure to include a roadside emergency kit.
- Prepare your home by weatherproofing, cleaning your chimney, checking smoke detectors, and more.
- Make a family communications plan as your family may not be together during an extreme winter event, so it is important to know how you will contact one another, how you will get back together, and what you will do during an emergency.
- Be familiar with winter storm terms: Advisory, Watch, and Warning.
- Try to stay indoors during extreme cold. If you must go outside, dress properly and know who is at high risk for hypothermia or frostbite.
Remember, it’s important to Be Ready! Don’t wait until a storm arrives to prepare as it will be too late. For more great tips and information, visit the CDC Winter Weather preparedness website.
CornellALERT is the university’s emergency notification system and is used for situations involving an immediate threat to the health and safety of the community.
You must SIGN UP to receive voice or text messages on your cell phone.
If you have previously signed up then please review and update your information.
Got 2 minutes? Watch this video to learn how to do Hands Only CPR!
Cornell University has developed a comprehensive emergency management program utilizing best standard practices from across peer institutions and emergency management organizations. This program will provide guidance to the campus community for the organization, coordination and collaboration of university services and resources toward an effective response to, continuation through and the recovery from emergencies. The effectiveness of this program is dependent on the preparedness of the entire campus community to stay vigilant to prepare for the unexpected events and disasters that may impact the mission of teaching, research and outreach of Cornell University.