For spills or incidents that require training, procedures, or personal protective equipment beyond the abilities of the personnel present, take the following actions:
- Alert others in the immediate area and evacuate the room.
- If building evacuation is needed then manually activate the building fire alarm.
- Close doors as you leave the room.
- For hazardous materials emergencies call 911 (on the Cornell Ithaca campus call Cornell Police at 607-255-1111) from a safe location and provide the following information:
- Your name, telephone number, and location
- Location of the spill
- Name and quantity of material spilled (if known)
- Any injuries, medical issues, or personal contamination
- Use eyewash or safety showers as needed to wash spilled chemicals off your body.
- Flush the affected areas with copious amounts of water for at least 15 minutes.
- If you are contaminated do not spread the material or contaminate others. Tell responders you have the material on you.
For incidental hazardous materials situations that do NOT present an immediate threat to life or health and do not involve personal contamination: