- Seek shelter inside of a sturdy building
- Avoid small sheds or isolated structures in open areas
- Stay away from windows and doors, and stay off porches
- Avoid contact with corded phones. Cell phones and cordless phones are fine
- Avoid contact with plumbing. Do not wash hands, bathe, shower, wash dishes, etc.
- Avoid contact with electrical equipment and cords. Before the storm, unplug or power down sensitive equipment
- Avoid unnecessary travel.
- Gather supplies (food, water, etc.) to last a couple of days.
- Monitor for University closures and changes to operating status.
- Follow official instructions given for your area.
- Never drive through standing water.
- Never walk through moving water.
- Be aware that flash flood can occur quickly. If flooding occurs, move immediately to higher ground.
- Maintain food & clean water to last you a few days if possible
- Monitor local radio/TV channels for evacuation and other directives.
- Take shelter inside a substantial building if a warning is issued or you see a funnel cloud:
- Go to the basement or an interior room on the lowest floor, preferably without windows.
- Closets, bathrooms, and other interior rooms are best
- Get under something sturdy or cover yourself with a mattress if possible.
- If no shelter is close by, lie flat in a ditch or low spot with your hands shielding your head. Avoid overpasses and bridges.
For more information and planning guides, please visit our Weather Preparedness web page and Ready.gov. For information about weather related university closures and changes to operating status visit the Inclement Weather FAQ page.
Monitor for campus closures and other changes to campus operations.
- Ithaca Campus
- Emergency & Informational Alert Messages
- Ithaca Inclement Weather Phone: 607 255-3377
- Cornell AgriTech Campus
- Cornell AgriTech Inclement Weather Phone: 315-787-2011
- Cornell AgriTech Web Site
- Cornell Tech Campus
- Cornell Tech Safety and Security
- Weill Cornell Medicine
- Weill Cornell Medicine Emergency Information