Emergency preparedness training can give you the skills to properly react to emergency situations so you can better protect yourself and assist others until responders arrive. Life-threatening emergencies can happen fast and emergency responders aren’t always nearby. You may be able to save a life by taking simple actions immediately.
Training opportunities include both in-person and web based offerings and are provided at no cost to Cornell community members.
First Aid and CPR/AED Training
- Environmental Health and Safety hosts open enrollment first aid and CPR/AED (cardiopulmonary resuscitation – automated external defibrillator) courses on a regular basis. Enroll through the CULearn web site for these courses:
- EHS 5360 – First Aid
- EHS 5350 – CPR/AED
- Cornell University Emergency Medical Service (CUEMS) provides CPR/AED and first aid training upon request. Training can be requested by completing the form on their Community Education web page.
- Watch this 2 minute video from CUEMS to learn Hands Only CPR.
- The FEMA You Are the Help Until Help Arrives web site provides a 30 minute web based training video that outlines basic steps you can take to help someone in an emergency situation.
Personal Safety, Active Violence, and Anti-Crime Training
The Cornell University Police Department Crime Prevention Unit provides a variety of crime prevention and public safety training and outreach programs. Information and contact information is provided on the Crime Prevention Unit web page. Available topics include:
- Active Violence Awareness
- Personal Security
- Stay Safe 360 Degrees
- Violence in the Workplace
- Sexual Assault Awareness
You can also view Cornell’s Active Threat to Life Animation video for a information about the “Run. Hide. Fight.” strategy that law enforcement agencies use to outline the steps you should consider if you find yourself in a situation that poses an active threat to life.
Fire Safety Training
Environmental Health and Safety offers a variety of fire safety training opportunities. Search CULearn using the keyword of “fire” or for these specific courses:
- EHS 5300 – Fire Extinguisher
- EHS 5330 – Fire Safety (web based training)
- EHS 3995 – Flammable Liquid Safety (web based training)
Free online fire prevention and safety training is available from the igot2kno website.
Other Training Opportunities
Other safety training is available from Environmental Health and Safety. Search (using keywords “safety” or “ehs”) and register for training through the CULearn system.