Did you know that cooking is one of the most common causes of fires, especially if you are cooking with oil.
- Stay in the kitchen while you are frying, grilling, or broiling food.
- Cook only when you are alert, not sleepy or drowsy.
- Keep your cooking area clean and uncluttered.
- Keep anything that can catch fire away from your stovetop.
- Keep a lid nearby when you’re cooking to smother small grease fires.
If a cooking or kitchen fire occurs…
- For an oven fire turn off the heat and keep the door closed.
- For a microwave fire, keep the door closed and unplug the unit.
- Never pour water on a grease fire.
- Close the kitchen door, activate the building fire alarm, and evacuate the building.
Did you know…
- Fires in residence halls are more common during the evening hours, between 5–11 pm, and on weekends.
- Roughly 5 out of 6 fires in residence halls are started by cooking.