Follow these electrical safety tips to help keep your home and workplace fire-safe.
- Always plug major appliances, like refrigerators, stoves, washers and dryers, directly into a wall outlet.
- Never use an extension cord with a major appliance — it can easily overheat and start a fire.
- Always plug small appliances directly into a wall outlet.
- Unplug small appliances when you are not using them.
- Keep lamps, light fixtures and light bulbs away from anything that can burn.
- Use light bulbs that match the recommended wattage on the lamp or fixture.
- Check electrical cords on appliances often. Replace cracked, damaged and loose electrical cords. Do not try to repair them.
- Do not overload wall outlets.
- Insert plugs fully into sockets.
- Never force a three-prong cord into a two-slot outlet.
- Install tamper-resistant electrical outlets if you have young children.
Extension Cords, Power Strips, and Surge Protectors
- Replace worn, old or damaged extension cords right away.
- Use extension cords for temporary purposes only.
- Avoid putting cords where they can be damaged or pinched, like under a carpet or rug.
- Do not overload power strips.
- Use power strips that have internal overload protection.
- Use only a single extension cord or power strip between the wall outlet and the electrical device.
- Never plug extension cords or power strips into other extension cords or power strips.
Make sure all electrical work is done by a qualified electrician!