- any time the fire alarm sounds,
- an evacuation announcement is made, or
- a university official orders you to evacuate.
In the event of an evacuation:
- Alert those around you who might not have heard.
- Turn off equipment and secure hazardous operations if possible.
- Take your keys, jackets, and any personal items with you, you may not have access to them for hours or longer.
- Close doors and windows. Leave room lights on.
- Remain calm and walk to nearest exit. Do NOT use elevators.
If you are unable to leave the building due to a physical disability:
- Go to the nearest area where there are no hazards.
- Use a telephone to call 911 or Cornell Police at 607 255-1111.
- Be sure to give them the room number so they can send help to you.
- If possible, signal out the window to on-site emergency responders.
- One person may remain with you if they wish to assist you.
Do not re-enter until given an “all clear” signal by emergency personnel.