In the event of fire, smoke, or an explosion:
- Alert those around you to the hazard
- Evacuate the room, closing doors behind you as you leave
- Manually activate the fire alarm system as you exit the building
- Exit and move away from the building – DO NOT USE ELEVATORS
- Call 911 from a safe location. Tell the dispatcher:
- Name of the building
- Location of the fire
- Description of the fire
- ALL fire must be reported to Cornell Police, including those that have been extinguished
If your clothing is on fire
- Stop – Drop to the ground or floor and Roll to smother flames.
- Smother flames using a fire blanket.
- Drench with water from a safety shower or other source.
- Seek medical attention for all burns and injuries.
If you are trapped in a building
- If possible, take shelter in a room with an outside window
- Close all doors and windows
- Use clothing, towels, or paper to block around the door or over vents to keep smoke out
- Stay low in smoke
- If there is a telephone, call 911 to report your location and situation
- Signal to rescuers and people outside the building by waving clothing and other light colored objects. Stay where rescuers can see you.
- Remain calm, stay low, and be patient.
- If you have been trained and it is safe to do so, you may use one extinguisher to attempt to extinguish the fire
- Only attempt to extinguish small fires
- Make sure you have a clear escape path
- If you have not been trained to use a fire extinguisher you must EVACUATE immediately